Saturday, July 25, 2009

Almost Moon by Alice Sebold


When I read "The Lovely Bones," I couldn't put it down. That book hooked me from Page 1, and it was a page-turner right until the end. When I saw this book, by the same author, I had such high hopes. This book was an enormous disappointment. I couldn't even finish it, and I very rarely put a book down without finishing it.
It's the story of a woman who goes to visit her elderly mother, who lives alone. Mom has dementia and is very difficult to deal with. So she kills her. Yes, that's how it starts. Then she does a few random, unconnected things that really were never explained or developed. It's like a bizarre list of tasks that someone does and you don't know why, nor do you care. I finally just gave up. Maybe she tied it all together somehow, but I was more than 100 pages into it and still hadn't even figured out why the mom was killed let alone why everything else happened. And, when there's no point or no emotion behind the story, it's just too hard to stay motivated.
Two thumbs down.

No comments: